Thursday 29 December 2011

Bruce Block: The Visual Story: The Beginning

I've decided that its about time to increase my visual knowledge of film overall, If I ever hope to achieve a credible career in film I need to know the finer details of cinematography. Although I have had numerous practical experience in the field I still feel amateur in the visual language of film, I want to learn existing film theory to apply in my practical work rather than just relying on instincts all the time. That's where my new book I got for Christmas (Bruce Blocks: The Visual Story) comes in. I had heard various recommendation from students and lectures, stating that it's a vital piece of learning material for film students, it claims to offer a clear view of the relationship between the story/script structure and the visual structure of a film, teaching you how to structure your visuals as carefully as say a writer structure a story... Ultimately understand how to communicate moods and emotions through film.


"You hold in your hand the key to understanding the complex and ever changing world of modern cinema" Jay Roach, director of Austin Powers, Meet the parents and Meet the Fockers

"Bruce Block masterfully deconstructs visual storytelling. Exposure to this material is essential for all students of cinema. This book will make you a better film-maker!" - American Film Institute

"Inspirational to those working in visuals. This reference is invaluable and essential for any artist" - Walt Disney Televison Animation

It all sounds very promising, lets hope it's not a load of commercial hype. Over the next week I will be dissecting and analysing all the material found in this piece, proberly about two to three chapters at a time and recapping on this blog. I will cite examples and my own personal thoughts on the theories found throughout this book, mainly so I can future reference and understand better what I am reading. Hopefully after I will become a better film-maker and apply this newly found knowledge to work next term

No comments:

Post a Comment