Saturday 20 November 2010

Design Practice 1: Interactive Spaces: Brief






Two down, one to go. I have progressed onto the final design practice of the first module interactive spaces, this project involved designing a virtual space through a mixture of still digital photographs and HTML/JavaScript. It is made possible through the use of hyperlinking which allows users to explore the digital world around them, giving the audience decisions about there actions, which ultimately shows a free roam style journey. I've learnt over the last months that compositional elements and relationships play a huge role in how audiences interpret an image, I will have to consider: colour, negative space, angle, proportion, focus,narrative, association, linking 'hot-spots' and much more to create an engaging and inventive sequence of images.

To start of the experimentation of interactive spaces, I produced a short sequence of 5 Images trying to show a story and journey, my idea for the test was what my dog gets up to when nobodies around, It doesn't really have any deep meaning as such just random events to create comedy. I don't think everything needs to have a meaningful message especially when interactive spaces are involved, simple ideas can develop into great journeys when you start of small. One thing I did realise was that It takes a lot of time to create good composition, where as my images work with the rule of 3rds, proportion, lighting and angels are anything but perfect, But hey, this was just a test and allows me to improve when I produce the real thing.


































































































I also did a little activity to show the potential of sequence design, I took existing frames from the Hitchcock film North by Northwest and rearranged them to create an entirely different story, the new narrative I created was that of a man being arrested for being homosexual (being the 50's and all) escaping from the police, and being reunited with his lover (I know strange right? But I was bored and it turned out quite funny) If anything this task showed me the importance of narrative and continuity, when done right they can portray varied and interesting journeys to the audience.






































Anyway that's all for now, the only idea that's certain at the moment is that I want my interactive space to have a branching narrative, meaning the user will have various choses to make, which lead to seperate outcomes. So long.
Samuel Dobson 

No comments:

Post a Comment