Sunday 7 November 2010

Design Practice 1: One Shot Film: Brief






Well hello again. I have now progressed onto the second design practice of three: One shot film, I have to  produce a short film collaboratively in a team of students. We have to develop, plan and shoot an original one shot film idea, showing every detail of the design process along the way. The camera may either pan/zoom/crab or track only once, and must be on a tripod.  I realise one shot films aren't as easy as they sound, to create a truly inventive and unique one shot, I will have to consider carefully visual composition, focus, movement, lighting and your choice of location. I hope to create a 'strong' one shot, that involves the audience but at the same time displays an interesting message. I realise that one shots films may require a long 'trial and error' process, experimenting is the key to ensure the atmosphere and messages are portrayed accurately.

To jump-start the project we were put into groups (which I was initially unable to attend but joined later), the test assignment was to make a short one shot film and as the brief describes the camera had to be on a tripod, with only one movement permitted. My group first decided upon the location of the test film, it was a toss up between the arboretum or the graveyard, they eventually selected the graveyard. Secondly they brainstormed ideas for the plot, chase scenes, contrasts between life and death and the eventual final idea of people running away from something unknown, where the camera lays on the ground creating a P.O.V shot.

The next day I was filled in with the existing ideas for the one shot and involved myself accordingly, I met with my group and we shortly got to work, we placed the camera on the graveyard path, centered and tilted slightly to create a quirky atmosphere. Next we assigned each other roles and analysed the directions we would be running in, we recruited extra people to run, which added to a large apocalyptic feel. Our main character would be unaware of all the people running in the opposite direction to him, continuing up the path until he eventually notices himself and runs as well. It ended up being quite comedic as It's hard to believe anyone could be so oblivious to his surrounding, On the other hand I believe it worked perfectly in the sense that the audience knows something dangerous and large is approaching. Anyhow this was just a test and gave us all a good idea of what's expected from us, I am now looking forward to getting stuck into this project and experimenting with the camera further.




No comments:

Post a Comment