Saturday 26 February 2011

Design Practice 2: Film: Inspiration and Brainstoming (Week Two - Editor Role)(Part Three)

We have descided that our film noir is not trying to imitate being filmed in the 1920's time era but rather inheret it's visual style and be set in the modern times, this allows us to be a lot more experimental with the project, this opens up the possibilty of using a using a lot more special effects, transitions and sounds to represent the film as modern film noir.

Brainstorm of many possible ways to create desired effects
 I feel quite restricted as to what I can actually do pre-production as an editor, I have researched and found that usually the editor chooses not to be on the set, but may sometimes work closely with the director to work out what shot's will work well together. To take my role above and beyond I am going to make some mock-up video testing out various sequences, effects, titles and transitions.

First Test:


First test of using colour pass- adding splashes of colour to black & white

Fonts:
I have been given the task by our producer to start looking at different fonts and designing the titles, The opening sequence of a film is always important in setting the genre and giving the audience an initial thought on the film, I want my title sequence to set the mood for the entire film and ultimately become the part that makes the film instantly recognizable and unique to the audiences.

As our film is about conspiracy, gangstas and mystery I want my fonts to mimic and portray this, always keeping in mind that I want the title sequence to represent film noir as well. The word 'Shift' as the title doesn't really present me with a relevant way of designing the titles, What comes to mind when i hear shift is cars and time travel, know body really knows how the title is relevant to the plot or what is meant by it (maybe shifty?), so instead of basing the design around the word, I am basing it around the mood of the film itself.

Title Design:



As i said before the titles play an important role in constructing the mood and genre of the film, I have noticed a lot of them replie on foley to give them that extra impacts, so synchronisation is an important factor. In particular I enjoy some of the James Bond title sequences, they are always sleek and professional which in turn reflects on the image of the main character and the whole francise. They set the scene perfectly for the action/adventure, always with a twist of charm and seduction.

The sequences where the text is in the foreground with a hand moving over it, where the text wipes up word by word, where the text appears to be on water and where the text is ignited by fire are all concepts I would like to replicate and explore.



The use of large text flying fast by the screen while the small text is layered over it is a great effect, It sets the scene perfectly for a fast paced mystery drama



As the bourne series deals with conspiracy, It would be interesting to replicate there title sequences into our project to create a post modern film noir, there titles move slightly with the background and breaks off into various lines. I could impose my own titles onto a real life moving background (possible some city shots caught from a car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment