Friday 4 March 2011

Design Practice 2: Film: Development (Editor Role)(Week 3)


Film Noir Lighting:
Hey yeah, we had quite the merry making enjoyable design practice session today. Our group was assigned the task of replicating a low key (almost film noir'ish) lighted interview, This was convenient as we are as you know doing a film noir style project at the moment. I feel like I played a main part in creating the atmosphere, mainly because I had past experience on film noir lighting and could direct people where to position the various lights, I love the result and I believe it screams film noir! It was fun activity and I hope my group and I can replicate this effect in the real thing.

Example of actual film noir footage
Once again as the editor in pre production I find myself with little concrete work to actually do, I have suggested various matters to my group such as: making sure they storyboard scenes with the colour pass effect in mind (only one individual colour in shot), allowing me at least a week before the end of the five weeks to edit, working with Jordon our producer in After Effects collaboratively, reminding them of the importance of shadows for when I colour correct and finally showing them the fonts I found. I think at the present time this font is favoured: 

So yeah to keep myself busy I have produced a mock up video using clips from the crime drama PS3 game Heavy Rain, I think It's quite fitting as the game shares similar concepts to our film project Shift. I have done this mainly to get better acquainted with the premiere pro software before I edit for real, I realised that a lot more time, work and effort has to go into editing to create anything remotely descent.

Example of how its more complicated than you think for a one minute video
Heavy Rain - Shift Trailer


I experimented with various effects and transitions such as; Blur, Motion Path, Dither Dissolve, Cross Dissolve, Addictive Dissolve, Zoom, Dip To Black, Gamma Correction, Contrast Correction, Red Colour Matte, Colour Pass & a Vinette for practice. 
             
Finally I found out that I will be acting as a hired goon in shift, Although i don't have any dialogue I am required to look mean, hard and shifty, which can be sometimes harder than you think, especially when your trying to make an impact and your acting is bad. So I am going to practice in the mirror over the weekend looking mean, I don't want to burst out into laughter or awkwardness on the day, I may make a video to, I don't know.
Practicing acting role In mirror

No comments:

Post a Comment