Tuesday 17 January 2012

Canon 7D Practice

Ahhh my weakest point, camera technicality. I do have a very basic overview of how to operate a camera, I know about focus and the iris and also what format to record in, yet the finer points still allude me. As I don't come from a photography background and have never really been exposed to high end photography cameras such as SLR's and DLRS' I  decided it was about time I learnt some basic skill and understood some of the terminology. I hired out a Canon D7 for the weekend to try and get to grips with how it works, this way when I film for real I'll not waste a load of time. I learnt three invaluable lessons.

1) Exposure is a mixture of  ISO (the sensitivity at which your camera reacts to light, like volume on a radio) The Aperture (The amount of light let into the lens) and Shutter speed (The amount of time the shutter stays open to capture the light), You use all three settings to attain Good Exposure, adjusting for required scenes and situations.
2)The shutter speed is measured in seconds and fractions of seconds, opening it for longer can create a blurred effect on motion objects, such as waterfalls and moving light sources and is vital for recording time lapse photography, a faster speed takes a more crisp photo, such as on a fast car moving. Can also be used on record mode, you generally film at twice the speed as your frame rate, so 25fps would equal 1/50 shutter speed
3) The Aperture creates a depth of field it is measure by a Focal Value, so F2, F8, remember to press the depth of field preview button.
4) 100-400 ISO is a sunny day 400-800 indoors or evening and 800-1600 night time.
5) You must select the correct mode for the job, aperture priority for landscaped and portraits, shutter priority for moving objects and I believe Manuel if you want to experiment with the two.

Here's the good photo's I got with photoshop editing:










No comments:

Post a Comment