Thursday 21 October 2010

Design Practice 1: Animation: Analysis, Synthesis and Planning

Now I have the basic concepts and designs for my animation, but have made no solid judgements or sense of the development stage, I like to identify the implications of my inspirations and brainstorming before I continue with later processes. This allows me to learn further and avoid possible problems arising in the future. I  adapt any new ideas created by my analysis/synthesis at this point and usually incorporate them into my current project.

Analysis involves listing as many questions as you can think of regarding your project. The questions will vary from project to project but usually the majority of these questions are the same, whatever the project you are attempting. the Synthesis is the following section in the design process and is a list of answers. Quite simple really.






1) What software is most appropriate to use?
2) How long do I estimate to completion ?
3) What shapes and fonts are best and why?
4) What colours will I be adapting to my work ?
5) What is the main function of my animation?
6) What existing products were prime influences?
7) What are some good books, DVDs and useful information.
8) Where can I collect research material?
9) How long will my animation last?
10)What animation movements?






1) Well for this particular assignment, Auto desk 3DS has been assigned to us, and I understand that it's a highly rated piece of software, perfect for what I'm trying to achieve. The answer to this question would be more appropriate If I was doing an independent project, as I would have to deduce the best software for a project:













2) I estimate my completion date to be Saturday 23rd October 2010, I am basing this on the pace in which I'm learning the 3DS software, The practical sessions I have between the two date and the overall access I will have to learning materials and the software. This is my goal.

3) Through my brainstorming and Inspiration activity's I have decided up on the Fat Boy Slim font:







As It creates the required depth and energy I'm looking for, It also works well with 3DS effect 'squeeze'.
The shapes I have decided upon will be a cylinder for the swords, as I can use the 'extrude', 'beavel' and 'ident' tools to easily create swords. I will have two simple boxes as banners for my text:











 4) The colour scheme I'm planning is a yellow to black gradient for my banner boxes:






The swords will have a bronze material effect for the handles, a gloss metal effect for the blade and a gold material for the base. The text will be white. The background I'm attempting is similar to this gold cracked effect:












5) The main function of my animation is to keep audiences entertained in between shows while there watching a channel based on my life. It should be to the point, fast, easily identifiable and be interesting. The station indent should be what audiences instantly associate with the channel.

6) After many hours of thinking, I have came to the conclusion the my main influences would have to be a hybrid mix of these two videos:





7) There are several books recommended to us In the assignment briefs and student handbooks that could be used to further my knowledge, along with fellow students recommendations. YouTube and the Auto Desk website also harbours endless useful information :

8) I can collect research material from the local boots library, through ebooks or privately purchase from the links above

9)  I am planning my animation to be between five and ten seconds in length, through my inspiration search, I realised that station indents are very spontaneous and do not aim to hold the audiences interest for long periods of time. The aim is get your message across and move on, hopefully leaving an image in the viewers mind.

10) I will be rotating and forwarding the banners/text, using the squeeze effect for the movement of the text and manipulating the pivot points of the two swords to stab onto screen and inter cross:




Now you can see how having this information is useful, I can future reference back to this section of the design process to help identify what my initial designs were, It also clears my mind of all the questions I was asking myself and paves a clear path for me to follow. I now have a plan to implement and will be progressing  to the research stage shortly.

Samuel Dobson

No comments:

Post a Comment