Saturday 9 October 2010

Design Practice 1: Animation: Brief






My first design practice for the year is split up into three category's, interactive spaces, film and animation, each section lasts three weeks and then I advance to the next practice. I think the idea of this is to give me a taste of what each media form involves and ultimately help me decide what route I would like to take In my second year. The order in which I appear to be completing these practical assignments is:

  • Animation 
  • Film  
  • Interactive Spaces

Which is good because the area I'm least interested in is last, after I've completed the three areas I need to round my work up into a presentation, which will show clearly everything I've done in a ten minute talk.
For my animation brief I got to play around with a piece of software called Auto Desk 3D Max, and was told that my project was to create a station ident for a channel based on my life, to keep audiences interest between shows. I viewed examples of station idents from BBC 2, ITV, CITV e.c.t, and I think I fully understand what is required of me.

Examples below:







Now knowing what I had to to do, I was introduced to the software I would be using to create my station ident, the software was Auto desk 3D max (Retail price = £3500, Students = Free) It is a platform for creating animation and has many wonderful features, I learnt how to apply a virtual plane for my animation to appear on, rotate/move shapes and text to key frames and also apply different effects to objects. The biggest lesson I learnt is to think of Auto Desk 3D as a virtual reality world where nothing really exists, It's up to you to make it realistic. Although I have only scratched the surface of this program I hope to be sufficient in using it in the near future, there's much to explore.




There's defiantly room for improvement :)

Samuel Dobson

No comments:

Post a Comment