Wednesday 8 December 2010

Design Practice 1: Interactive Spaces: Inspiration and Brainstorming






To get things kick started with the module I began conjuring up thoughts in my head, specially past examples of interactive spaces I've enjoyed. As with all my designs, inspiration is the key to turning ideas into reality.

Firstly Final Fantasy VII is the first game I can recall playing which involved exploring and a meaningful journey. Final Fantasy VII is a role playing game, that had excellent graphics, game play, music and story for the time and was highly praised in the gaming community. The stand out feature for me was that it mixed technology, playability, and narrative to create a fascinating journey. The main character (you) had to choose your path, collect materials and items to advance to next levels and make interesting choices along the way which ultimately decides your fate. It had many different outcome which were influence by making different decisions. The formula for this game turned the average linear story into a much deeper structure of nodes and paths to decipher.



Another Prime influence that comes to mind is again another childhood game, this time a online flash game called 'Escape from stickville'. I remember feeling a huge sense of adventure while playing as no other game had involved me enough to make important decisions which decide if you succeed or fail. Usually I'd just be moving forward along the side scrolling world without a care. The game also used the feature of an inventory, which I really like the idea of.

Find Game here: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/16106







Through my inspiration I have decided to create a role playing version of an interactive space where you travel to locations via a teleporter, It will incorpate the idea of an inventory bar and item collecting to further the users journey. The idea of teleporatation removes any continuity isseue as am I am able to move from  location to location without any explanation. My game will have varies nodes that branch out to different outcomes, I want the user to explore and solve my interactive space, not just complete it within 10 seconds.

Now I had my basic idea I needed to select locations to shoot the photo's, I wanted a mixture of ordinary locations and unordinary locations. I have chosen to shoot one segment of my journey in the Waverly building, as this fits the bil for an everyday location and has interesting objects to explore; such as the key card detectors. Secondly my local nature reserve was picked as it's outside and has lots of possible interaction, such as feeding animal and climbing tress. Now I had my locations I pictured them in my minds eye and started designing how different images would branch of and how different object would be collected. I quickly transfered my ideas to paper.















Samuel Dobson

No comments:

Post a Comment