Saturday 11 December 2010

Design Practice 1: Interactive Spaces: Development

I have finished my interactive space module which should have been alot of fun and relatively easy but wasn't. I first set out to get the photo's which I would be using, this section went as smooth as can be, got the camera, asked some people to pose for some shots in the Waverly building and had a nice coherent sequence of images to link. The next stage was when things started to go wrong, I had previously missed the lesson on dreamweaver, so like a old school pro I thought we were meant to use notepad, I painstakingly produced a good chunk of my work in notepad before realising dreamweaver is available and makes working so much easier. The next problem was that, as I 'd missed a previous lesson, I was unaware you could link pictures directly from your image directory, so like a pro again I uploaded my pictures to my blog and was using the URLs from there to direct the pictures. This posed even more problems as the loading time between pictures was terrible as it was downloading them from the Internet, so i had to re go through all my pages (this being proberly the largest interactive space anyone did) and change the image values again. I finally did get it completed it the end, yet my work was posted under Phillip Dobson's picture on the website makingnewmaps.com instead of me Samuel Dobson, ha ha typical, get it right Simon

The moral of this story is to do your research, I could have turned a one week struggle into a pleasant day of work

Some previews below:










1 comment:

  1. Hi Samuel, I'm really sorry about the mix-up. Clearly it would have been disappointing to have your wonderful effort attributed to another student. I have replaced the photos in the main menu for you e.g. http://makingnewmaps.com/maps/Samuel_Dobson/face.jpg and http://makingnewmaps.com/ Simon Perkins
    PS. I hope that you have received a lot of positive feedback -I personally really enjoyed your effort. It's very 'FPS' isn't it -although hopefully Waverley is a little scary than subterranean spaces in classics like Duke Nukem et al. :-)

    ReplyDelete